Note: Because this is a perennial VBS, the review has not been updated since it was originally written.
Ready to go in a new direction for your VBS? Christina Clark created Arts Camp to explore Christian faith through art, music, and movement. Now published as a paperback book, you can create a program that taps into the creative hearts of children. Arts Camp is written in an Episcopal church context but could be modified for other denominations. Five themes are offered: 1) Praise, 2) EcoJustice, 3) Who is my Neighbor, 4) Interfaith Peace, and 5) Saints and Holy Helpers.
This program integrates your VBS “camp” into the life of the worshipping community. Creating an “Arts Camp Sunday” is a key goal. The program also emphasizes peace, as well as God being revealed in the beauty around us.
Ages Levels: Grades 1 through 5, middle school
X Overview and schedule for running an Arts Camp as a VBS program
- Includes detailed instructions for crafts and art projects that are tried and tested. These projects are well closely tied into each theme.
- Provides planning schedules, charts, and checklists for running an arts camp.
- Connects with Sunday worship. Each theme has a worship outline for community worship.
- Offers suggestions for easy songs, activities, and prayers.
- This program is not intended to have everything “in the box.” For example, a strong music leader should be recruited to make the music suggestions come alive
- In some sections, there is an explanation of how the program would work as a weekly VBS. But there is not a detailed lesson plan for day 1, day 2, etc.
Reviewed by Matthew Kozlowski.