About this Webinar
Visual media rank among the most engaging forms of content in digital spaces, but it can still be a challenge for faith communities to create, curate, and deploy them. Even with user-friendly platforms like Canva, creating engaging graphics can be laborious and time-consuming. We know graphics and images are important in digital spaces, but how can we use them with our limited bandwidth and know-how?
Fortunately, there are a growing number of creatives and collectives who create beautiful and affordable graphics for churches. Our two presenters, Mary Button and Jo Nygard Owens, are two such people. From pandemic-inspired stations of the cross to Advent and Lenten Micro-practices, they not only create images and graphics, they also understand and articulate how best to utilize them for worship and faith formation. In this webinar, they will share their work, experience, and wisdom with us!
Resources Found in this Webinar
Google Slides from the webinar are here.
- The Non-Designer’s Design Book, 4th Edition by Robin Williams
- Procreate – A helpful program for design
- Procreate iPad app – $9.99
- Procreate Pocket – iPhone app – $4.99
- Lightstock – The marketplace for faith-based design
- Church Media Spot photos blog post – This blog post has a list of free and paid images
- The Stocks – Clearing house of free and paid stock photos
- Freepik – If you find that you need a lot of images and graphics, Jo really likes her subscription. There’s usually a discount for your first year.
- Font Squirrel – Source for fonts
- DaFont.com – Source for fonts
- Creative Market – Source for fonts, assets
- The Hungry Jpeg – If you subscribe to their email list, they’ll send you a free font each week
- Vanderbilt Lectionary Pentecost – This link is for Pentecost and you can see on the righthand side a link for corresponding art materials
- Spoonflower.com – A place to have things printed onto fabric
- Christians in the Visual Arts
- Working Preacher – Provides inspiration based on the lectionary. It’s not as easy to find art stuff here, as it’s usually part of their written reflections, but this link is to podcasts/blogs/etc. about culture, it’s probably a good starting point for folks unfamiliar with the website and wanting to look specifically for art
Mary Button is an artist and the founder of Mary Button studios. She has worked in and with churches to assist them in incorporating the visual arts. She is currently a pastoral intern and pursuing ordination in the ELCA.
Rev. Jo Nygard Owens is a graduate of Columbia Theological Seminary and the founder of Vibrant Church Communications, whose popular Advent and Lent micro-practices series have aided churches in inspiring their communities to deeper spiritual practice.