Illustrated Ministry’s Compassion Camp: Changing the World with Lovingkindness explores what it means to have compassion for ourselves, others, and the world.
$249.99 (for church or single entity, including media and music kit), $24.99 (for single family to do at home, includes basic supplies)
Preschool and Elementary through Grade 5
Adaptations for “older sibling and the entire family”
Overall theme: Explore what it means to have compassion for ourselves, others, and the world
Day 1 – All Around Me—Compassion Jumps into Action, Exodus 2:1–10
Day 2 – For Myself—Compassion Helps Me Thrive, 1 Kings 19:4–8
Day 3 – To the Neighbor—Compassion Crosses Barriers, Luke 10:25–37
Day 4 – With the World—Compassion Sees the Big Picture, Acts 2:1–13, 42–47
Day 5 – Along the Way—Compassion Walks Together with Others, Romans 16:1–16
What is included in the basic package?
The church/single entity package includes (among others):
- Scripts, prompts and directions as well as Leader Guides
- Original music for each session
- Coloring supplements and activities for sessions
- Pinterest board for additional ideas
- Inclusion and social-justice oriented.
- Highly adaptable for online, hybrid, or in person delivery. Allows for a flexible schedule, with delivery over five consecutive sessions or over several weeks.
- Plans for multi-disciplinary stations, including movement, art, music, and Bible study
- Music for each session is supported by SoundCloud recordings and YouTube videos that could be used for teaching a leader or for leading small groups to sing-along
- Appendix includes children’s literature book recommendations, podcasts, resources, and supplemental activities and ideas to incorporate youth and intergenerational groups.
- The supply and technology requirements are low and can be adapted to a variety of environments.
- Strong music and presentation leaders are required in order to lead music and skits.
- Some personalities may wish for more interaction than offered through activities like mediation, yoga, coloring, and collages.
- Incorporating households without children or older youth would require vision and planning beyond the VBS kit.
General themes and messages are inclusive of cultures, using language like “compassion crosses barriers” and encouraging learning about “people who are different from me.” There are many adaptable activities with much room to individualize for different abilities.
About the Publisher
Illustrated Ministry (formerly Illustrated Children’s Ministry) is a publishing house that prioritizes an open and inclusive theology and diversity in its content and images. The team behind Illustrated Ministry are artists, writers, and pastors, with an eye to how children learn and churches create intergenerational community. These creators represent various mainline Christian denominations. Activities are made for group and at-home use, enabling congregations to build continuity between church and family. Projects are downloadable and affordable with a size-to-price payment scale.
Special thanks to reviewer Elizabeth Walker.