Note: Because this is a perennial VBS, the review has been not updated since it was originally written.
Cost: Free download
The Abundant Life Garden Project is a five-session curriculum that focuses on the importance of Water, Seeds, Soil, Animals, and Harvest. Although each session is designed for a one-hour period, additional activities are available in the appendices. Through this program children will learn Bible stories and participate in activities that reinforce each day’s theme. Children will also explore stories from the Episcopal Relief and Development (ERD) website that show the needs of people throughout the world
Age Levels: Preschool – Elementary
X Director’s Guide
- Emphasizes a loving God.
- Curriculum is free.
- Heavy emphasis on environmental concerns and encourages being good stewards of the world’s resources.
- Calls attention to the suffering of those around the world and highlights ways that children can make a difference.
- Daily themes connect well with Biblical stories.
- Incorporates using a Litany of Thanks and meditation into daily activities.
- Includes alternative schedules.
- Lacks variety in daily activities
- Heavy emphasis on drawing and writing with no alternative options for children who learn through physical activities.
- Curriculum is difficult to find on the ERD website.
- Options for Extended Time Periods in Appendix A do not include any theme-related snack or play time activities.
- Stories from the field available on the ERD website are geared towards an adult audience and may not hold the attention of children.
- Music must be purchased and added by the user.
Reviewed by Lori Daniels.