Note: Because this is a perennial VBS, the review has not been updated since it was originally written.
Praying All the Time introduces prayer to children through literature. The program is theologically sound and uses attractive, classic children’s books to introduce the concept of prayer and different ways to pray for younger children.
Five children’s books are featured:
The Story of Francis, by Tomie de Paola
The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle
The Red Ribbon, by John Lasne
Old Turtle, by Douglas Wood
The Legend of the Bluebonnet, by Tomie de Paola
The guide directs the leader to begin by reading one book each day to the children. The children discuss its relevance to five methods of praying and complete a craft. The session ends by sending the children forth with a sending ritual.
Age Levels: Kindergarten through grade 5
X Leaders Guide
X Activity CD (also contains guide)
Note: Copies of the five books must be purchased separately.
- Crafts are engaging and relevant to the stories.
- A half-day schedule for five days is provided. Designs and ideas to promote the program are also included.
- Does not contain any biblical or theological references to prayer.
- The guide provides very little support for the inexperienced teacher.
- Additional costs are significant.
- Books and activities are appropriate for Kindergarten and early elementary. Children beyond second grade might not find the program engaging.
Reviewed by Amy Dyer.