Note: Because this is a perennial VBS, the review has not been updated since it was originally written.
Cost: $69.95 (download)
Peaceable Kingdom explores anti-bullying themes using favorite children’s literature characters such as Horton the elephant, Yertle the turtle, Gertrude McFuzz, Mama and Papa Bear, Old Turtle, and Gerald the giraffe. Through the Biblical experience of Shalom, and our Baptismal mandate to “see the face of Jesus in those around us,” participants spend time together learning how to be respectful to everyone, to identify what bullying looks like in their worlds, and to find the strength to stand up to bullies. The themes for the 5 days include Be Your Best Self, A Place for Everyone, Turn the Other Cheek, Made in God’s Image, and Be Courageous – all done through Bible stories and children’s literature. The curriculum also includes major bullying research results that are incorporated into each day’s presentation.
Age Levels: Elementary
X Director’s Guide
- The theme is a timely one and the program could be used at any time, in any venue.
- Set-up is minimal.
- No set snack ideas so you can do whatever you please AND they do recommend a lunch component to end the time together.
- Activities such as games and gathering time are based on cooperation instead of competition.
- Only need 3 major volunteers for recurring speaking parts each day.
- The activities are geared for an older audience.
Reviewed by Kellee Wattenbarger.