Wild Willy’s Candy Factory
Note: Because this is a perennial VBS, the review has not been updated since it was originally written.
Cost: $49.95 (download)
This Vacation Bible School experience is based on the children’s story book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the 1971 version of the movie, Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. The curriculum examines the five children who are characters in the story and their character traits, which are then related to the sins of Greed, Pride, Envy, and Sloth. The story of the Prodigal Son (Luke 15:11-24) is the biblical basis for the program. Charlie Bucket, the main character who exhibits the traits of hard work, caring, sharing, honesty, and repentance, is compared to the prodigal son at the end of the story when he asks for forgiveness from his grandfather.
Age Levels: Elementary
X Director’s Guide
- Provides opportunity for children to learn about character traits from the negative characters and the contrasting traits of Charlie Bucket.
- Includes a craft each day which focuses on the character trait of each child in the story.
- Biblical connections are tenuous.
- Requires materials to be purchased from specific distributors.
- Candy was given out each day; the “grand prize” was a lunchbox full of candy.
- The movie must be rented or purchased separately.
Reviewed by Amy Dyer.